All gas appliances in a tenanted property must be checked for gas safety every 12 months or when a new tenant moves in. This is the Law in the UK

Landlord services

  • Our gas safe engineers will carry out the required safety certificates for you as well as completing any other work for you at the same time. We are happy to pick keys up to make things as easy as we can.
  • Arrive at the arranged time or keep you informed of any delays.
  • Treat your property with respect, leaving it in as clean and tidy a state as possible.
  • Work to Gas Safe regulations putting your safety first, We will be as much help as we can.

Boiler Services and Gas Safety Checks

It’s recommended that you have your boiler checked annually to ensure it’s working safely and efficiently, and to reduce the risk of unexpected (and often expensive) breakdowns. At RWM our Gas Safe registered engineers provide full safety checks on all types of boilers in private and rented houses either as one-offs or on a regular basis.

Information for landlords

As a landlord you should be aware that you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. Your legal duties apply to a wide range of accommodation occupied under a lease or licence, including (but not limited to):

  • Residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, co-operatives, hostels.
  • Rooms, let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotels.
  • Rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways.

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 outline the duties of landlords to ensure gas appliances, fittings and chimneys/flues provided for tenants are safe.

Your responsibilities

If you let a property equipped with gas appliances, you have three main responsibilities:

  1. Maintenance: pipework, appliances and chimney/flues need to be maintained safely. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the frequency given in the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available, you should ask a Gas Safe registered engineer to service them annually.
  2. Gas safety checks: An annual gas safety check should be carried out on each gas appliance/flue. This will ensure gas appliances and fittings are safe to use. There is a legal requirement on you to have all gas appliances safety checked by a registered engineer annually and you also need to maintain gas pipework and flues in a safe condition. This is UK law.
  3. Record: A record of the annual gas safety check should be provided to your existing tenants within 28 days of completion, or to new tenants upon the start of their tenancy. If the rental period is less than 28 days at a time you may display a copy of the record in a prominent position within the dwelling. You’ll need to keep copies of the record for at least 2 years.

Additional info: If a tenant has their own gas appliance that you have not provided, you are responsible only for the maintenance of the gas pipework – not the appliance itself. It’s also a good idea to ensure that your tenants know where/how to turn the gas off and what to do in the event of a gas emergency. Last, but certainly not least, make sure anyone carrying out gas work on your property is Gas Safe registered – this is not only the law, but the most important step to ensuring the safety of your tenants.

In addition to gas safety checks, we highly recommend installing a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm. While they should never replace regular maintenance and safety checks, the alarm is the best way to ensure the property’s occupants are safe from the dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. RWM can provide Carbon Monoxide alarms and provide checks every year to ensure you and your family are safe